Web Design and Development - Web Developers, Web Site Development
What is Web Design?
Web design is a term that is used to describe the way content is delivered to the end-user through the Internet; it is the appearance of a website or webpage. The end-user uses a type of web-enabled software or a web browser to display the communications that are created on the front end. The intent of the web design process is to create a website that includes text, sound and images and may be interactive. The structure of a website is included in the topic of web design, which involves information architecture, the conceptual design as well as branding and how the pages are laid out. Web development differs from web design in the fact that design is the planning portion of creating a website while web development is the actual process of creating the website.
- How to Build Websites: Web tutorial on building websites.
- Entheos: Web Design Tutorials: Resource for additional web design tutorials.
- Media College: Introduction to Web Design: Information on creating a web site including the cost to get started and the steps to take.
- WebDesignDev: Web Design Resources: Resource site for web designing.
- Web Design from Scratch: Articles and Tutorials on Web Design
Roles of a Web Designer
Most web designers have some computer programming skills, as well as design skills. Although this is the case, they may or may not be computer programmers. Most web designers, however, are web programmers and implement their own designs into the programming of how the pages will appear. Usually, web designers work with clients to determine their needs and then construct a design based on what the client is requesting. These designers are generally articulate with certain graphics software such as Java and Photoshop. Web designers who are also programmers may be responsible for introducing new data to the client for updating websites. Shopping cart software may also be added for additional functions on the website if the client so chooses to request it.
- Stack Overflow: Role of a Web Designer: Information on the role of a web designer.
- Joe Dolson: Responsibilities of a Web Designer: Description of the responsibilities of a web designer.
- Degree Directory: What are the Job Duties of a Web Designer?: Description of a web designer’s duties.
What is Web Development?
Web development is the actual developing process of creating a website that goes along with web design. It is a broad term that can also include web design, content development, network security and web server configuration and development for ecommerce. Although this term is broadly defined, professionals refer to the term as the process of building web sites that does not include any web design aspects. Web development therefore consists of only writing markup and coding. Web development covers a wide range of needs and can include smaller projects that take an hour or less to complete up to projects that take much longer. An example for a smaller project would by a static web page of plain text while a more complex example would include setting up social network services, electronic businesses and internet applications.
- Web Designers 123: Web Design Versus Web Development: Article on the difference between development and design.
- Six Revisions: Web Designers vs. Web Developers: Difference between designers and developers with images.
- Dream in Code: Web Designer vs Web Developer: Definition and description of the differences between designs and developers of the web.
- Daniweb: Forum discussion on the comparison of developers and designers.
- Godbit: Design vs. Development: Article on the differences between design and development.
Roles of a Web Developer
The job of a web developer is to maintain high-end websites, as well as build them. Generally, a web developer is responsible for writing scripts for programming that meets the needs of the client. They either have extensive experience in working with a variety of script languages or are trained to do so. Web developers build the entire website from the ground up. This includes everything from the homepage of a website to the site function and layout. Web developers that are good at what they do usually take the clients’ services and products into consideration, as well as the audience they are targeting when constructing the website.
- Marketing Experiments: Web Team Roles: Roles of different members of the web team – including that of a web developer.
- World Wide Learn: Guide to College Majors in Web Development: Web development information as it relates to college education.
- What Does a Developer Do?: Detailed information on what a developer does.
- Andrew Bleakley: What Does a Freelance Web Developer Do: Information on what a freelance developer does.
Standards and Trends
Standards and trends of web design and web site development have changed with time. Limitations decrease and new languages develop which has a positive effect on the current and future trends of the web. This alone allows new possibilities for the expansion of web design to amazing proportions. From now into the future, the inspiration and innovation will develop beyond anything that has been seen up to now. The current standards and trends for web design and development will change. As new trend arise, the standards will follow suit to bigger and better ventures.
- University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire: Growing with Web Standards: The effects of growing with standards.
- One Stop Tutorials: CSS and Tables: The hype and trends with the history of tables.
- Go Gulf: Web Design Trends: Growing web design and development trends in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
- Web Design Dispatch: 20 Worst Web Design and Development Trends: Information on the 20 worst trends in web design and development.
- Smashing Magazine: Trends 2010: The current state of web design with trends in 2010.
Whether you are interested in obtaining a degree in web design and development or just wish to learn more about the topic, here are some additional resources to help you.
- Full Sail University: Web Design and Development; Information on the bachelor’s degree program at Full Sail University that is offered online.
- Earn My Degree: Online Web Development and Design Degree Programs: Resource for degree programs in development and design.
- Devry University: Web Design and Development Specialization: Description of the web design and development specialization option in the College of Media Arts and Technology at Devry University.
- PayScale: Salary Snapshot: Salary snapshot for jobs in web development.
- Emory University: Website Design and Development Training: Program information for the training opportunity at Emory University in website design and development.